Wednesday, July 23, 2008

"Blue Velvet"

I continue to be amazed by the number of projects about New Orleans that few New Orleanians know about. This one was brought to my attention by a woman in Spain! I'm still trying to figure out why this project is called Blue Velvet - it's a dense and multi-layered piece about New Orleans post-Katrina in an online multimedia interactive journal called Vectors, out of the University of Southern California. I learned many things, for instance "redlining," a technique of mapping desirable and undesirable areas in a city that would then influence mortgage lenders. Also, there's a bit of academ-speak for some of us to catch up on, but it's worth some study. I can't do much better than the statement by the editors, which speaks of capturing "complex histories interlaced in what our government would have us believe was simply an act of nature."

No comments: